Thursday, October 6, 2011

You know you're domesticated when... the first thing you think of wanting for your birthday is a... toaster oven.

True story. Hubby calls to say "happy birthday". We work out our plans for tonight and for the long weekend. Then he asks what I want for my birthday.

"Nothing. You never get me anything for my birthday anyways. Don't waste your money."

As I hung up the phone, I thought to myself, "I could use a toaster oven." But my parents can get that for me. Who wants their husband to give them a toaster oven for their birthday anyways? Although I have to admit, I do love the vaccuum he bought me last year. I know. Don't judge me.

Birthdays have never been a big thing with my family. Maybe it's because all 3 of our birthdays are within a week of each other so we always end up celebrating all of them at once. That or my dad would never remember. Neither could he keep track of how old I was. I bet if you asked him now how old I am he probably wouldn't be able to tell you. But to be fair, some days I have trouble remembering how old I am.

I'm not very fond of big parties. Too many people and broken chitchat. I prefer spending quality time with a small group of friends and family. Afterall, for me, birthdays are kind of like New Years. It's a time to reflect and be thankful for all the blessings God has graced us with. The neat thing with having friends and family spread out across cities is that each year you receive greetings from random places and it serves as a reminder that we're still all connected somehow.

26 isn't a particularly special milestone. But with Baby coming, it changes the whole thing. As amazing as it would be to share the same birthday with your child, I'm very glad God didn't time it that way. I mean, who wants to spend their birthday in labour? Not to mention you'd have to spend your next 5-10 birthdays with screaming kids instead of a relaxing day of getting pampered :)

Cheers to another year and the adventure of parenthood!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey Joyce, Its so good to hear your thoughts on your blog. HAPPY BIRTHDAY from the blogging world mommy to be! May the BIG G continue to bless you and provide for you this coming year. AND, I hope to hear you blog more too as you journey through motherhood and more! =)

Joyce said...

Thanks for the support Sarah! You're a sweetheart. I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep up with blogging once Ugg arrives but I'll try to document the journey (Jenn Yee, I duno how you juggle everything! You're a super momma n I need to learn!)